A virtual private server, or VPS hosting, is a virtual machine service offered by Internet hosting companies. A VPS runs and maintains its own version of an operating system (OS), and users will have access to the OS to install their own software that runs on that OS.
Simply put: it acts like a dedicated server while using a shared server environment.
One of the reasons why VPS hosting is so popular for websites is because it provides users with a diverse array of customization options at a far more affordable price.
Interested in linking up with VPS hosting?
Here are five things you need to know about VPS hosting:
1. Finding the Right VPS Hosting Provider
Of course, like any other service you’re interested in obtaining, the very first thing you need to do is find the right VPS hosting provider. This can be difficult to do because there are just so many in the open market.
But here is a bit of a cheat sheet in what to look for:
- Read customer reviewers and comb through social media testimonials.
- Determine the level of customer support and reply time.
- Seek out an uptime guarantee – you’ll get a refund in downtime.
If the VPS hosting provider gets all three, then pick that one!
2. There Are Many Benefits to VPS Hosting
So, what exactly are the benefits to VPS hosting? Many people will tell you different things. Rather than getting the runaround and varying responses, here is a little bit of a rundown:
- VPS can be personalized and tailored to your needs.
- You have a lot more control over your hosting platform.
- VPS can assist you in growing your traffic volumes.
- VPS hosting is viewed by the experts are more secure than shared hosting.
- VPS hosting is more affordable than dedicated servers.
3. It Combines Shared & Dedicated Hosting
One of the reasons why VPS is enjoyed by webmasters is because it effectively integrates the ideal worlds of shared hosting and dedicated hosting. In other words, you get to enjoy the power of dedicated hosting with the minimal cost of shared hosting.
4. Control Panel Must be User-Friendly
Unless you are the next Bill Gates or the greatest computer engineer that ever lived, you should seek out a VPS hosting provider that maintains a control panel that is user-friendly.
It is true that VPS hosting is customizable and comes with numerous and powerful benefits that enhance the quality and efficacy of your website. However, you cannot nurture and cultivate your digital portal without a proper control panel.
Many VPS hosting providers offer 30-day trials, which is something you should definitely take advantage of so you can play around with the control panel.
5. Does It Match Your Needs?
In the end, you will need to determine if the VPS hosting company matches your needs.
Well, like locating a reliable and cost-effective VPS hosting provider, here are some features that you should find out if the company offers:
- Storage: if you’re hosting large files, then you want a VPS with faster and bigger storage capacity. This will reduce headaches in the future.
- Memory: your website utilizes caches to save webpages and data. If you have a busy website then you must have enough memory, or RAM, to sufficiently capture the data.
- Processor: get a lot of requests? Complete a lot of calculations? Is it not that static? Well, you will want a VPS hosting plan with plenty of CPU.
Now that you know the very basics of VPS hosting, it is up to you to locate the right service that is tailored to your needs, reputable, and meets your budgetary requirements.